The stitches of life

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Quick thoughts 

An ex-boyfriend found me on Facebook recently and so we've been getting caught up on the past 13 years. We dated in college while I was going through a really bad period in my life--dad had just died and mom was not handling it well. He was one of the only people I talked to about it, so he's one of the few who had an inkling of how I felt during that time.

In the email he sent me yesterday he said "it sounds like you are doing well and enjoying your life." I responded with the following:

I am enjoying life. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger right? Sometimes I have to pinch myself when I stop and realize where I am and where I came from.

I've felt like that for many years now, and freely admitted it to whomever asked, but for some reason it really hit me when I saw it written down. Maybe 21 years after dad's death I'm finally ready to admit to some peace and happiness within myself. Maybe it's the beginning of dealing with his death and allowing him out of the box where he's been safely hidden all these years...

Anyway, that's been sitting in my head since yesterday, so I had to write it down. Growing older is a very interesting experience ;).
Posted by hollyday @ 8:54 AM

Comments: