The stitches of life

Friday, September 21, 2007

Conversations with a (almost) 7 year old 

It's bedtime and Brendan and I are lying down together after reading stories. He turns to me and asks:

"Mom, how come your body never has any more babies?"

Me: "Well, Daddy and I decided our family is just the right size for us."

B: "Did your body decide that too?"

Me: "Noooo...my body would keep having babies if I let it." (beginning to wonder how far we're going to go with this ;)

B: "So how do you keep your body from having more babies?"

Me: "Well I use a thing called birth control." (frantically wondering how to simply explain the type of bc we've chosen)

Brendan ponders this for a moment, gets a lovely smile on his face and says "Oh."

I relax thinking the conversation is over--wrong! After a short pause Brendan says:


"When you were little you didn't know you would be having babies."

Me: "No, not really."

B: "Were you excited when you got to be a grown up and knew you were going to be having babies?"

Me: "Yes, I was excited. And I'm very happy with the babies I had."

B: "Yeah, that was good."


Too funny! His syntax was more disjointed than I typed here, but I honestly can't remember the exact way he phrased it--my mind has to translate into "grownup" speech lol.


It's a cliche but it's true--moments like this make you glad you're a parent :).

This conversation originally took place in June which is why the title says "almost" 7 year old--he's since had his seventh birthday :)
Posted by hollyday @ 8:53 AM

Comments:

It makes you wonder what else is going thru their little heads! lol
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:15 AM
they say some sweet things when you least expect it don't they
By Blogger Jen, at 10:19 AM