The stitches of life

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Garden pictures 

I was inspired (once again ;) by my friend Velda to take pictures of my garden. I've been meaning to anyway because it's useful to me when planning for next year, but I hadn't gotten around to it yet. It seems to me my garden looks best this time of year, which is a bummer because the pool's not open yet so we aren't down there as much. But I'm going to take a chair down there, clean it off and create a little gazing/reading/tea nook ;). I apologize for the pictures not being as clear as they should be--I'm still getting used to our new camera and Dave still hasn't installed photo editing software ;). So without further ado here we go: No you're not seeing things--this is one rose! It's going back to its roots which really upsets me. I'm going to try cutting the dark red part out, but I don't have much hope it will make a difference. In the meantime it makes for a pretty cool-looking picture ;). The next pictures are from the pansies around this rose and it's companion, as well as some other plants in our foundation garden :)



Next are pictures from the back, mostly the pool garden :)

In this next picture, the blue flowers are hardy geranium "Johnson's Blue", the other flowers are snapdragons and you can see lily, hosta and (in the foreground) the leaves of hardy geranium "orion".

The pink flowers below are 2 kinds of Dianthus (they smell divine!) These beautiful heart-shaped leaves belong to my Campanula :). Sandwiched in between it and the Dianthus are the silver sword-shaped leaves of Campanula "Lil Punky"
This is probably my favorite out of all the pictures! This is my siberian iris which is now in its third year. Last year I had the beautiful blue-green leaves, but no flowers. Imagine my surprise and delight to go out today and see it flowering!!
Here next to the black plastic pot is the hardy geranium "Orion" I transplanted from another spot. He was pretty droopy but I think he's going to make it after some TLC ;)
This is my pink Knockout rose and the groundcover is lamium "Purple Dragon"
I was so excited to see these snapdragons! They're from last year and not only did they reseed but they spread too!
My "Bowbells" rose :)

There are a few more pictures from today in my webshots album, the link is in my sidebar :). I guess I should get out there and get to work!

Posted by hollyday @ 9:08 AM

Comments:

wow! I can't say much more than that, they are gorgeous!
By Blogger Jen, at 10:36 AM
Look at all that pink!

I want to put in dianthus around our lamp post. I love the smell and the color and they remind me of my dad.
By Blogger Margaret, at 10:41 AM
LOL Margaret! Actually there will be a lot of blue once the Orion Geranium and Campanula start blooming, as well as white and yellow when the Phlox and lilies bloom :). Last year was the first time I put in a lot of pink flowers other than my oriental lilies ;).
By Blogger hollyday, at 11:10 AM
beautiful!
Absolutely gorgeous! I'm totally jealous of your garden...I want one!! lol I have to keep reminding myself that it's just 3 more years until we move back to the US and buy a house. ;)
another dianthus lover! maybe I should plant some sometime :) Beautiful garden...I need to come down for a swim!
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:48 AM
What a beautiful garden. We're about to build a patio on our house, but with the ongoing drought, landscaping choices are very limited. We're not allowed to use a hose now, and soon we won't even be able to bucket water onto the garden.
By Blogger Emma, at 5:13 PM
Oh Holly, your garden is beautiful! I wish I had the slightest clue how to garden, I wouldn't even know where to start LOL. Guess I'll have to get my fix by enjoying yours, thank you for sharing all your beautiful pictures!