The stitches of life

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Garden musings 

I hear the gasps of shock now--she's writing about something other than stitching? What's wrong with her? I spent about half the day outside yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I'm suffering for it now ;). I plan to go back out today to clean up from yesterday and to work on some bigger projects I've been neglecting lately. We'll see how far I get since it looks like it's going to rain, but then again every time this spring I've thought that it hasn't panned out, which is part of the reason my container roses almost died ;).

Yesterday I started working on my container plantings. I planted my strawberry jar for the first time in years so I hope it works out okay (they're a pain to keep watered). I planted 2 different colors of lobelia and a really pretty yellow annual whose name I can't remember right now. Another pot has a lovely dark pink begonia and the "leftover" lobelia, and I got a lovely pot of pink petunias which I need to put in a larger pot. I still need to get some calibrocha (sp?) mini petunias for my hanging basket and then I'll be done with the front (maybe ;). On the patio I trimmed and hopefully revitalized the soil in my roses which are in containers. I thought for sure one of them was dead, but as I started cutting it back to take it out I noticed some green wood which means it's still alive. I gave it and the other one a very thorough watering and moved them to a sunnier spot, so we'll see what happens.

In the pool garden I did a little weeding and used the string trimmer on the liriope by the birdbath. Did I mention I hate liriope? I like it when it's kept in check, but this has been allowed to roam free for a few years and has taken over this portion of the garden. So after trimming it back so I could see better I started pulling it out by hand. Yes, you read that correctly--pulling! I will need the shovel for more stubborn parts, but the only way to make sure I have as many roots/runners as possible is to do it by hand--not fun. When I'm done clearing that section out I'm going to plant foxglove and some of my phlox from nearby that has seeded itself on the wall. I also need to go under the dogwood dad planted and cut down and dig out the obnoxious honeysuckle bush that seeded itself there. I tell you it's amazing what birds can do to a planned garden rofl! I bought a few perennials yesterday that I need to plant as well. Can I just say how nice it is to have the garden in such a shape that I only have to do maintenance weeding instead of spending several days clearing just so I can plant?! That is one of my favorite accomplishments out of everything--that I took a weed patch and made it a garden again :).

I guess I should get out there as it really looks like rain. I need to at least clean up from yesterday and plant the perennials--wish me luck!

Currently working on: Brendan's Mini RR, Blackwork RR, Bloom
Posted by hollyday @ 7:05 AM

Comments: