The stitches of life

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

April recap 

April went pretty well overall--not as well as I might have liked in some areas, but better than I expected in others. The weather was horrible most of the month so unlike last year I wasn't able to get out in the garden much until the last week or so. But I did get a lot done in that limited amount of time, so I'm happy. Once again the foundation bed has an edge (lets see how long that lasts ;) and the roses are trimmed, sprayed, fertilized and weeded, with new Geranium 'Orion' planted in their little beds. I planted some impatiens and a new Asian lily and discovered the Echinacea and Lobilia I planted last year survived, much to my surprise! I can't wait to see how they do this year :). Now that the pool garden is in decent shape I can focus more on the front and a couple of other areas in the back which really need some work. Yesterday I planted some annuals (ageratum, alyssum, snapdragons, african daisy) in the pool garden and moved a geranium 'orion' from one spot to another. The geranium looked rather wilted so I'm hoping it survives okay. His "cousins" that I've had in the garden for 10 years are extremely hardy and I'm hoping he is too ;).

Stitching did not go as well as I'd hoped--I haven't stitched much at all the last 2 weeks. I did manage to work on everything I wanted to at least once though which is an accomplishment for me in itself ;). I can tell now that garden season is coming up that I should probably give up any idea of a rotation, and just work on RR's and finishing a couple of things. If I cut myself some slack and am not too hard on myself I'll be much more likely to stitch--otherwise I'll just drop it altogether until about August when it gets too hot to work outside lol. I need to finish Brendan's RR (which is almost done), and I think I'll just work on whatever takes my fancy for the next couple of months--especially garden pieces :). I was just thinking I'd like to do some over 1 stitching, and I have a WIP of "Bloom" by the Trilogy which is over 1 and a garden piece, so that fits all my criteria nicely (over 1, already started, garden ;). I will probably start something else new too, but I'm going to try to wait at least until I've finished Brendan's RR so I don't feel too guilty lol.

Otherwise things are going as well as can be expected. Considering I have had children home sick and my brother here working on our basement (which I helped him with), I've done pretty good with the cleaning and laundry. The major basement work should be done this week (fingers crossed), so hopefully I'll be able to figure out a schedule which allows me to balance the house, garden and stitching--wish me luck!

Currently working on: Blackwork RR, Brendan's mini RR, Secret Flower Bed

Posted by hollyday @ 7:51 AM

Comments:

Wow! You've done a lot! My roses are pruned and weeded, not yet fertilized. My front garden actually started blooming the other day so I'll have to show you cuz I know you'll appreciate it like I do. :) I like your stitching goals. Stick with it. Keep it simple and you won't be beating yourself up later. ;)
By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:24 PM
You will have to show me pics! You know I'll hound you until you do lol ;). ((Hugs))
By Blogger hollyday, at 8:15 AM