The stitches of life

Friday, October 06, 2006

Why do I blog? 

One of my blogging buddies from the board posed this question in her blog and it got me to thinking. Why do I blog? Honestly it started out as a lemming thing LOL ;). Everyone else was doing it so I thought I'd give it a try. I don't think I do it for the same reasons a lot of other people I know blog though. I try to use it occasionally for organization, but that rarely works LOL ;). I'm not trying to hone my writing skills because I don't have any ;). I like the photography aspect of it, but just as I've become more regular with my blogging my husband has lost the d*** digital camera so that kind of throws a wrench in the works there ;). It does help with my stitching though which makes me happy as that's one of the reasons I started it :).

When I began it was a private thing--no one knew I had it. I know since it was published others could see it, but no one I knew was aware of its existence so I wasn't worried about it ;). Once my board friends started doing it I decided to "publish" it in the sense of putting it in my siggie both on the board and in my email, so both board and IRL friends could visit if they liked. I like to use it to try to keep me on track with my stitching--it helps a lot to put things in writing where I can see them. I know I can do this on the board (and I sometimes do), but here I feel I can go into more depth, plus my plans change so often I'm sure they get bored with seeing yet another "stitching plans" post LOL ;). Sometimes I will have thoughts like my 'chapters' entry, and it's nice to have a place to put it in writing where I can refer back to it. And lets face it, we probably all like the fact that people read our musings and love it when they leave comments so we know they read ;).

Like so many others I don't post very personal stuff, either about me or my family. While I am a speck of dust in the blogosphere and I'm sure no one cares what I write other than people I know, you can never be too careful. I would never post about Dave's work, not because it's secret or anything, but with more and more companies these days scouring the internet for myspace and blogs from or related to their employees you can never be too sure.

I guess ultimately then I blog because I enjoy it :). I hope my friends (especially my IRL ones) are able to keep up a bit with my life this way, even if it isn't always facinating reading LOL ;). For my board buddies hopefully they will occasionally get a fuller picture of who I am and where I'm coming from :).

I guess that's all for now--I hope everyone has a spectacular day and weekend :)

Currently working on: 2006 Mini RR, Story RR, Halloween Exchange, Brendan's keychain, Ian's Dino Mini RR

Posted by hollyday @ 7:57 AM

Comments:

Where *do* you come from? lol I enjoyed that entry! And believe me I've gotten to know you a WHOLE lot better in the last 24 hrs *giggle* and I still love ya!
By Blogger ., at 9:12 AM
LOL V! Where I come from is another post altogether ;). I'm glad you still love me, it's nice to know it's mutual :) ((Hugs))
By Blogger hollyday, at 9:18 AM
Glad I could inspire! The lemming thing got me too, and I also blogged in secret for a while, just to see if I was actually going to stick with it or not.
By Blogger Megan, at 10:31 AM
I've enjoyed the whole why do I blog discussion. Maybe I need to go copy my answer on megan's and post it in my blog as well.

And I think I'm getting to know you a lot better as well. Maybe we need to chat more often.
I also love this discussion. Maybe I should blog this too..... just cut and paste what I already commented to Megan. haha
By Blogger Margaret, at 11:32 AM
MiPa we should chat more--I've enjoyed getting to know you better also :). And do you know it took me forever to figure out who you were when you'd post comments? I knew your blog, but didn't connect the two LOL ;). I think I can claim confusion pretty easily don't you? ;)
By Blogger hollyday, at 12:08 PM
Interesting question. I basically started blogging because I can remember reading journals that my great grandmother kept...these were read years after she passed away. I enjoyed taking a step back in time and seeing what she and her family were up to during that time. I thought my kids, and hopefully someday grandkids, would be interested in my blog sometime in the future. At the end of each month, I print out that months worth of entries and put it in a notebook so that way I have both an online version and a paper version.
By Blogger _, at 12:15 PM
Well aren't YOU smart, Vicki. I'm going to start burning mine to a CD I think.
By Blogger Margaret, at 12:26 PM