The stitches of life

Monday, October 16, 2006

Confessions of a serial starter 

Or how I learned to love myself even without lots of finishes ROFL ;).

You know, I carry lots of guilt over everything in my life. Everything from my jobs as a mother and wife to my hobbies, including stitching. I love starting new projects but because I'm so slow I have trouble getting them finished, and that leads to guilt, especially if I want to start something else. My problem is I'm looking at it like a task I have to complete instead of something I enjoy doing. I have to keep repeating the phrase "the joy is as much in the journey as in the destination", but even then I sometimes forget and beat myself up over how many WIPs I have ;). But you know the thing is, what difference does it make if I never get another piece done again? Aside from obligation stitching (gifts, rr's, etc.) nothing has to be finished, so what's the big deal? Of course it doesn't work that way for most things--if I don't finish the laundry my family will go naked ;). If I don't do the shopping there will be nothing to eat. Even with gardening--if I don't pull the weeds and put in a minimum of effort many of the plants will die. But cross stitch? The worst that will happen will be I have a huge box full of projects that give me joy to stitch on.....when I happen to stitch on them :).

With that said, I've been doing my annual end of the year re-evaluation of my stitching and my WIPs. I do want to try to finish some pieces, but I don't want that to be my sole focus. So I typed out all my current "active" and "inactive" WIPs and thought about which would be easiest to finish, which I liked the most, etc., and came up with some ideas on what I'd like to focus on next year. And for the record--"inactive" WIPs are not UFOs LOL ;). They are pieces I still consider WIPs but haven't stitched on in a long time :). I think I will save the list for another day though--it's kind of long...

Currently working on: Halloween Exchange, 2006 Mini RR, Story RR, Finishers Too, Ian's dino mini RR



Posted by hollyday @ 1:55 PM

Comments:

I love you Holly!!!!!!!!

We may not have a lot of stuff hanging on our walls, but we find a lot of joy in stitching!!!
By Blogger Margaret, at 5:55 PM
Hear Hear! Margaret and I were just talking about this. Cross stitch is supposed to make us happy - and if it makes us happy to start lots of projects, then that's fine! I'll get around to completing them one of these days.

And I know what you mean about inactive WIPs vs. UFOs, I make that distinction, too.
By Blogger Megan, at 8:46 PM
I totally agree, except for obligation stitching as long as I'm enjoying the piece it does not matter if I finish it. And for the record, I have WISPs (works in slow progress) not UFOs
You are just so cute! lol I luv ya! and um, inactive WIPS do mean UFOs honey. You, as a lover of words should know that lol nice try tho!
By Blogger ., at 6:13 AM
Ah but Velda, I'm not alone ;). Megan said she makes the same distinction LOL ;). UFOs for me are pieces that I haven't worked on in years and which I'm not sure I'll ever work on again. Inactive WIPs are pieces I enjoy working on so I know I'll pick them up again :). ((Hugs))
By Blogger hollyday, at 7:07 AM
Yeah. UFOs are those projects that you might as well toss (or give away). I have a bunch that I MIGHT want to stitch on again. And why deny myself that pleasure?
By Blogger Margaret, at 9:15 AM